The top two answers haven't changed over the past 12 months that I have been asking the question and the top two are:
- how to get more/better customers?
- how to get more profit/cash?
I am not sure if this isn't just a deflection from the real issues which are/were (for a recent consultancy client [professional service firm]):
- get and keep the cash longer,
- sell more to existing customers,
- use existing clients and potential clients (friends and lovers) to reach new clients
- do not discount prices but charge more where possible and justify the value-add
- eliminate fruitless task/clients/marketing activities: just do a few basic things and do them stunningly well..., and underlying it all...
- an obsession with the numbers on a weekly (if not daily) basis