Tuesday 7 July 2009

Twitter (again) Survey

After the last blog entry on Twitter I received a number of emails from people saying that they'd like to see Robert Craven on Twitter but only to receive occasional updates and links to keep them in touch without having to refer back to the website and/or blog.

In other words it would simply be another, convenient
communications channel for them. As I personally have no intention of tweeting 24/7 this would suit me fine.

The Twitter 'experts' will assure me that it should be a two-way medium. I am honest enough to admit that I do not have the time or patience to read and enter every single conversation that may be required of me. So, five minutes a week is all I will do. Blogs, articles, newsletters will continue as usual.

I could get someone else to do all my twittering on my behalf but that would be dishonest.

SO we are going to do a quick survey. If the survey votes for a Twittering Robert Craven then that is what you will get - a message (to those who want it) about once a week pointing you to what I am doing/writing/presenting. And that's it.

Please fill in the survey. It takes 10 seconds of your time (or more if you wish to leave a comment).


I will let you know the outcome.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This makes sense to me. But I thought that you would bypass twitter altogether. Although I guess that much your small business audience would be in the "for twitter" camp.

Bonnie F

Theo said...

See http://econsultancy.com/blog/4162-the-10-twitter-commandments?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Theo - mail@virtuad.com

Anonymous said...

I like the approach, especially with your small business offering (The Start Up Essays book etc). Many of your potential readers will also be Twitter fans (whether you/we/I like it or not). Let us know what happens in the survey.

Jim
BL

Anonymous said...

The approach makes sense. What are the results from the survey? Can you publish your findings? My bet is 50:50 for:against cos I reckon you have a lot of small buisness-type folowers who are into the Twitter thing.

My vote is "No thank you - not for me - I can visit your blog when it suits me - I do want not to be interrupted when you want to contact me."

BB

Anonymous said...

Results please!

I am curious to see what your audience wants. There seems to be a split between the small (or younger) and the larger (or more mature) businesses that follow you. I wonder how this will be reflected.

I think that the smaller businesses would be interested but the larger ones wouldn't give Twitter the time of day.

Jim
BL

Unknown said...

Final results will be out later in the week but the slpit is currently 55% against/45% for. Sample size is over 100.
Vote now if you haven't already!

The comments are fascinating and support our earlier comment discussions - the continuum runs from 'totally futile' through to 'totally necessary'.

I am happy to post simple updates/signposts but will not get drawn into twitter conversations.

RC

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update.

On reflection I do believe that Twitter will work for you if you apply your middle ground approach.
1) offer updates as you mentioned
2) others will spread your updates

BUT
1) do you want to be associated with the noise that goes on in Twitter?
2) do not allow yourself to spend more than 5 mins per week on it.

Jim
BL

Unknown said...

The final 'scores on the doors':
- 46% for Robert using Twitter to communicate
- 54% against Robert using Twitter to communicate.

The level of comment was pretty strong both 'for' and 'against' - all fairly well rehearsed stuff, very little indecisive comment.

I will not reproduce the comments as I think that we have been there before!

It was interesting to see the number of people keen to receive a limmited Twitter service from Robert Craven.

Thank you for taking part and for all your valuable feedback.

Robert

Anonymous said...

Good Luck if you choose to run a twitter strategy (snigger, snigger) and let us know how it improves your business performance.

Tim C

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update.

On reflection I do believe that Twitter will work for you if you apply your middle ground approach.
1) offer updates as you mentioned
2) others will spread your updates

BUT
1) do you want to be associated with the noise that goes on in Twitter?
2) do not allow yourself to spend more than 5 mins per week on it.

Jim
BL

Anonymous said...

The approach makes sense. What are the results from the survey? Can you publish your findings? My bet is 50:50 for:against cos I reckon you have a lot of small buisness-type folowers who are into the Twitter thing.

My vote is "No thank you - not for me - I can visit your blog when it suits me - I do want not to be interrupted when you want to contact me."

BB